Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

10.24.2005

The Job Search

Well, I promised the folks at REI that I wouldn't bug them today, since they promised they would get back by the end of today about hiring me on. This was something I was originally supposed to know about back last wednesday. The conversation then (wednesday, them calling back only after I called earlier in the day to follow-up on the interview) went something like this: Him: "Uh, hi, is this Matt?" Me: "Yes it is, what can I do for you?" Him: "Uh, this is ___ with REI, just calling you back about the job." Me: "Ok." Him: "Yeah, we're going to have to wait to get back to you later this week or monday at the latest on the job- we just had a meeting and we'd like to interview some more people." Me: "Ok, I understand, so I should hear from you by monday though?" Him: "At the latest"
* * * * * * * * * *
Ok, so it's 6:00 on monday night and guess what? No call. Let's not forget- it's less than two months until Christmas (their busiest season), which I told them I'd be willing to work through if they hired me. This is for a job at $7.10 an hour to sell outdoor gear, maybe to stock merchandise and run a cash register. I went to the interview well dressed,spoke clearly, firm handshake, all that. I answered their questions pretty well. I have professional experience, supervisory experience, a college degree. I will work any and all shifts they'd like me to work. I will forsake going home for Christmas to work this $7.10 an hour job because it means that much for me to get the job and to work in retail. All this begins to wear on a person. I'm not proud. I'd probably take this job at $5.50 an hour if it meant being employed and having an answer to that "Where ya workin'? " question I posted about before. Yet, they don't call back when they promise to. I'll call when they open tomorrow, see how it goes I guess. But I'm really starting to wonder if I'm qualified for anything here at all, since I'm not from Montana.