Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

10.28.2005

Today's Hike

Kate and I did get out for our afternoon hike. We went up along Grant Creek, which is the way you go out of Missoula to get to the Snowbowl, all the way to this little trailhead. We went about 2.5 miles out and back the same way. The views were great and it turns out the trail hooks up with Sawmill Gulch, which is where we went with Katie the second day she was here. Either approach can be taken further up to Stewart Peak, which I'd like to do sometime when we have more time and the weather is a little more favorable. The light was really pretty today as fast moving clouds cleared away the rain that dominated most of the day. The tamaracks have really all turned now and look great illuminated by shafts of 5:00 sunlight. This reminds me that I'll miss these late afternoon hikes and runs when we change the clocks over on Sunday. We saw a small type of squirrel a couple of times, about the size of a red squirrel but with little round ears and a black tail. They would sit and stare at us, with us staring back for about a minute before ascending into the trees, chattering all the way, as we continued down the trail. We also saw a good size den of some kind right beside the trail, heard a raven call, and saw another bird perched high on a snag that stood twice as tall as all the trees around it. The trail appears to be open to mountain bikes and Kate and I both agreed that it might be a good idea to come back with them as soon as we get some decent tires. Upon returning to the apartment I noticed that the clouds had cleared enough to reveal that the top of the Snowbowl got a dusting of snow. It is less than a month until their projected opening, and hopefully a slot on their ski instructor squad for me. Meanwhile, I hope to hear back about the Associate Planner job for the county. I took a look at the GIS data layers they have available for download on their website, but was not able to dig up my old copy of ArcView so I could start making some maps. Looks like there's another trip into out storage unit awaiting me tomorrow. Also yesterday, had a great email exchange with my friend Dan, who blogs over at r-f-d (see link on right). We have some similar tastes in modern blues, which he found when he saw R.L. Burnside (R.I.P.) on my list of favorite artists in my profile. I suggest to Dan, and anybody else who likes the blues as they are played today to check out Fat Possum Records. Good stuff.