Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

11.17.2005

On Poetry: Part II

Following my graduation from college, I made all sorts of attempts to keep writing and to stay inspired. I wrote every night for most of the summer. I formulated a plan for how I would write a long masterwork. I still have the plan, but very little ever got written. Later, I tried to start an online poetry journal. I accepted poems only by mail, and all I got was junk. Incredible junk from really crazy people. I tried to start up a collaborative project with some colleagues from Saint Lawrence, and I even got a few poems back. I treasure those, but I never got enogh to finish the project, so it too sits in my bag unfinished. What I really missed was the coffee house - literary journal- conference- full- immersion experience that college had been. That was so inspiring, and I think I've been struggling to replace it in my life ever since. Kate and I certainly fill each other up intellectually to some extent, and when we get to hang out with our friend Katie, it is even better. Of course, during my year in law school, I didn't read much poetry, and I didn't write any. There just wasn't time, and I feared that there never would be time again if I did not change course. Here I am, course changed. To me, maintaining this blog even in the face of so much economic and career uncertainty is a small victory in the war to keep writing. I have found it easier than keeping a paper journal, so even though I like paper and I have plenty of blank books with maybe only a page or ten filled up, the blog is it for now. I think at some point, I should be able to compile all of this and do something with it, some editing, revising, organizing- make it into something. I'm still a little light on the actual poetry, though. I'm going to try to winnow out a few old things to post in the next couple of days, then move on to new stuff. It is tough to get inspired, though, to listen to the music and read the books and have the conversations that great poetry has always come out of- to select those things carefully. I have no place saying this, since I write so little, but there is so much junk out there. Angsty, trite, over-intellectual posings- the Internet harbors a lot of this, but some of this stuff makes it into print, too. Even reading through Poets and Writers reveals so many conferences and retreats that are held for self-serving reasons- to make money, to make writers feel good about themselves- I'm not sure. I just know that a great deal of the current poetry I've been reading is not the kind of poetry I'd like to write.