Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

12.03.2005

Job Interviews in Missoula, Part III

Today was my "interview" to be a ski instructor at the Montana Snowbowl. I was hired and will be returning there tomorrow for another day of training and to complete the necessary paperwork. The money is bad, $5.50 and hour with a dollar for each kid in your lesson. That's what I've heard anyway. This was also my first day on skis since last season and I felt a little rusty as we plowed through crud, dense powder, windpack, slippery groomed stuff, and the occasional man made pile of ice. I made it through the day without looking like a total fool, though I would not say I was the most rock-solid skier of the group. I held my own. The Snowbowl itself is nice. It is a totally different experience from any eastern ski resort I've ever been to, and teaching there will be a far cry from my days at Sugarbush. There are no crowds from New Jersey, New York and Boston here, no busloads of people on the mountain, and no safety bars on the chairlifts. Still, there will be kids who are there to learn to ski and I'll be there to help, I'll be skiing without paying for a pass, and I'll be making a bit of money in the process.