Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

6.04.2006

Family


Dad, Nicole, Hans and my mother were all here for a visit over Memorial Day Weekend and I have been in a state of recovery for the week following, in a scheduling sense. I didn't take a lot of pictures with the digital camera as it was really rainy most of the time. I'll have some slides to scan in another week or so as soon as I have finished the roll.

We managed to get in a lot of stuff while they were here, including a visit to the Fort Missoula museum, tastings at the Big Sky Brewery, and a whole parade of great dinners at great Missoula restaurants. We spent one fairly rainy day up at Glacier National Park, which felt like going about six weeks back in time in terms of the season- the larches were still silver where they are all green with new needles in the valley. We also too them for a drive up the Snowbowl Road and scoped out the now-green runs coming down to the lodge, and saw a whitetail doe with two yearlings picking their way across the slope next to the T-bar.

mostly, it was just really great to see everyone and hard to believe it has been almost 8 months already since we moved out here. I hope Kate and I can get back east for a visit this summer or early fall. I feel occasional pangs of homesickness, most recently when thinking about skimboarding at Nauset Beach, and several times before that when something reminded me of the smell of wet leaves and woodsmoke on a fall day in Vermont. Little things, I guess.

I've been at REI a couple nights a week as well as yesterday, today so far has been laundry day. I did manage to give Kate and my bicycles a good early-summer cleaning yesterday morning before work. I noticed that my chain and drivetrain (both over 10 years old now with plenty of miles and neglect) are pretty well shot to the point where just replacing the chain will only cause it to run badly and wear quickly. So, I'm going to hold out for a new cassette, chain, and set of rings up front rather than just replace the chain now. A word to the wise, though, check those chains for stretch and replace as necessary- a $14 chain once in a while is better than a hundred bucks on a new cassette, chain, and chainwheels. Posted by Picasa