Gone Fishin'


I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!


Weekend Update

I had Saturday off from REI (which meant a fairly grueling Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday working full shifts for the city/county followed by those nights there). The upside was that Kate and I got out quite a bit. We did a bunch of household chores and shopping Saturday morning, then went for a walk down by the river, a run etc. Today we started off heading to climb the mountain-formerly-known-as-Squaw Peak, which now has another name whose spelling and pronunciation escape me.

We drove out on the highway north and west of Missoula and headed up to the Ninemile ranger station. The station turns out to be a historic site where they used to outfit pack-mule trains for fire crews and other USFS work crews. From the ranger station the road climbs steeply and eventually goes down to a single lane, then gets rocky and rooty with no guardrail, and becomes more of a logging road. We turned around before getting to the trailhead and went back to the picnic area further down and walked the little mile-long nature trail loop. On the way we saw a group of about six mule deer, who watched us before splashing off through a wet meadow nearby. We took a few more short walks and headed back to the car and back to Missoula.

We then had lunch: a salad of greens, tuna, finely diced kalamata olives, and homemade dressing with lots of marjoram and pepper, then headed back up the Rattlesnake Creek area for another hike.

We headed up the Woods Gulch area in the Rattlesnake. On the way we passed a lush green field with a solitary whitetail doe standing in the middle. As we passed by, we realized she was nursing a very brand new fawn, not more than a 18 inches tall and all in spots. They let us watch for a while and then we drove on. Our hike was great and the weather at this point was total blue sky with no perceptible humidity and a temperature in the mid-70's. We hiked for an hour and a half and then headed up Pattee canyon for another short hike up the Crazy Canyon trail. While we were there, I got out the unicycle for a trial run on something other than pavement. My climbing skills leave quite a lot to be desired, but the descents were nice and I even managed to ride a short section of singletrack before the day was out. Kate took the pictures below:

Following that, we had chinese food for at the last place in Missoula we hadn't been to yet and solidified both of our opinions that there simply is no decent Chinese to be had here. Nobody has duck sauce, and the egg rolls here have all been small, greasy, and lacking any sort of cabbage inside. For a finale, we watched Office Space over a beer and are now headed to bed. Quite a weekend and I look forward to repeating it again soon.

nn Posted by Picasa