Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

12.17.2006

On Taking My Own Advice

It has been a fairly productive couple of days. On Friday, I found myself out of hours to work for the week (look for a future post titled; "on being union.") and so only popped by work for our "holiday open house." Of course, I also had promised cookies for the event and so found myself Friday morning juggling trips to the Green Hanger to swap Laundry loads with trips to the Orange street Food farm to buy butter and food coloring with trips home to make, color, flavor, load extrude and bake dough. The spritz cookies were, by all accounts a hit and the party was really nice. Kate and Ben came along and Ben was able to get a tour of my office for the first time.

On Saturday, I worked a full day at REI, which was fairly mellow and enjoyable as usual. I used my lunch break to tune and clean my bike. I came home and turned some recently-obtained ground elk to do meatballs along with spaghetti and garlic bread. The meatballs were a success and we had sauce around that I made from Kate's Mom's old family recipe, substituting bison meat for beef in the sauce. So we basically had elk in bison sauce with a bit of pasta and cheese for dinner, with lots of leftovers to carry us through the week.

Today, we had a holiday brunch to attend for Kate's work, held at her bosses' house. It was really nice, as they fired up a waffle iron for the occasion. I brought fresh mozzarella smeared with creme fraiche we cultured ourselves by combining sour and whipping cream and letting it stand overnight. On top of the creme fraiche was olive oil, salt and pepper, marjoram, and a scattering of paper-thin slices of chili pepper. Nice on fresh breads from Le Petit, it was.

Later, we went to see Ben's new appliances, which our shared property-management company installed this week, replacing a couple of harvest-gold dinosaurs that were unsafe and certainly weren't doing his electric bill any favors. We also worked on Christmas cards and such.

This evening, another visit to Ben's place spawned a conversation between us about hi attempts to get his photography business to grow some legs here in Missoula. We talked a lot about getting a job to pay the bills, getting his name and his stuff out, getting him networked with other businesspeople, and how to balance it all, and I got talking a lot about the whole GTD concept. I talked about putting tasks into an excel spreadsheet along with timelines and budgeted amounts of times, sequences, sub-tasks, etc. We talked about whiteboards and workflow and time management and all that stuff.

It made me realize that I need to run down that same wagon and climb back on. Time for another Braindump, I guess, and time to do something more with my tasks than just write them down, though its a start.