Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

2.16.2007

Late Night Wind

It has been a couple of tough weeks for sleep. Full moon, being sick, stressed, whatever. Tonight it's the wind. We are on the same side of the jet stream as the deep south and far west right now, the warm, moist side that means it is above freezing here with brown grass all around while my folks in Vermont have three feet of snow and are on their third week of a single-digit cold snap. I'll be tired tomorrow but late-night clarity and time to write, to listen to music, actually listen, as opposed to putting it on for a few minutes in the car. Time to put on the good headphones. I'm bouncing all over my collection, as shown by the "Now Playing" feed I've added over on the left side.

It's all Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: The bills are paid for another month, I can breathe through my nose again and I'm not dog-tired, so music creeps in, I think of the resonator guitar in the case upstairs, spared the eBay squall I went through more than a year ago when we were really broke. Needs strings, I'm sure, and I need practice. I can make the chords but don't remember the names or the songs right now. And after the music comes back? Any number of blank books with poems written into the first five or so pages. Harmonicas get the dust blown out of them. Conversations with Kate turn to the literary and the theoretical.

But tonight it's the wind keeping me up. It bent the screen door open again and the streetlights flicker in the bare branches. I'd stay up all night if it wasn't for work, but Kate is restless upstairs, half asleep knowing I'll come to bed eventually and toss and turn for an hour. Ishmael is curled on the futon. The dishes are done but putting them away would be too noisy right now. I've read all the news I care to for now. Good night until tomorrow, then.