Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

2.11.2007

Slushy Sunday

Kate and Ben and I got out for an afternoon in the woods today. We were going to go up the Ravine Trail from Grant Creek Road, but we got a half mile in and it became apparent that the entire trail was sheer ice, a result of its popularity and the fact that any snow on the trail had been packed down by a winter's worth of footsteps. We headed down the highway and up into the Rattlesnake, up to the Sawmill Gulch trailhead. Sawmill Gulch must have been the site of an old ranch. There are a few foundations and drinking troughs in the old meadow. There were no fresh tracks on the trail we took, and only one other car at the trailhead. Of course, this might have been because the last mile to the trailhead was all ice, with rivers of meltwater coursing over the ice all the way up. We hiked through the old meadows and up the side to the top of the ridge, where we could have looked back down into the Grant Creek drainage had there not been so much fog coming up out of the trees. The snow was sublimating, evaporating right into the air without melting first. It was fairly warm but not sunny. Mostly, it was nice to get outside at all. I had been pretty sick the whole week before, and Kate was sick for the week and a half before that. The weather has been pretty crappy, and my workload has increased substantially since Christmas. In part, that is a blessing. I'm working harder and enjoying that work more than I ever have. But it takes a toll on my free time and ability to do other creative projects. I hope as the weather and my health improve I'll be able to get more done. This upcoming week will be another great one. I'll be up in Seeley Lake, a rural community about 55 miles from here, on Monday, I'll be working hard all week for the county, and I'll be at REI Wednesday and Friday nights, as well as all day Saturday. With any hope, we'll be back out hiking next Sunday.