Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

4.24.2007

Seattle, Part I

On the occasion of Kate's 30th, she and her brother and I took off for Seattle on Thursday. I'll probably split the trip report into a couple of posts. It's about a seven and a half hour drive that crosses Lookout Pass, Fourth of July Pass, the flats of Eastern Washington, the Columbia River, and Snoqualmie Pass. I didn't take any pictures of those places because I was driving. It's interesting country, and you go from hot and dry to alpine to flat and irrigated to near-desert, then to fertile farmland, alpine again, and finally cool, green Seattle with sea breezes and flowers everywhere. We used Hotwire for our hotel reservation and ended up at the Silver Cloud at Safeco Field. It's a brand new hotel, a short walk to Pike Place and a shorter walk to Pioneer Square and a walk across the street to the Pyramid Brewery and Alehouse. More on that later. We scored a room on the 9th floor, the top floor, which also housed the rooftop hot tub and the reakfast room we availed ourselves of each morning. The view from the roof: We had time upon our arrival to relax and then head downtown, where fish and chips at Ivar's served for dinner. We walked around a bit, went back for a soak on the roof at sunset, and retired for the night.