Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

6.30.2007

Yellowstone Part I

By 8:30 last Saturday morning we were in the car and headed South and East down I-90 toward Butte. Kate made room reservations at the Old Faithful Inn inside Yellowstone for that night, so we had about 300 miles ahead of us. Missoula disappeared in the rear-view mirror in minutes, and by 9:00 we were out past Rock Creek (have a ball at the annual "Testicle Festival"). This is the first time either of us have been that far down I-90 since September 2005, when we moved to Missoula from Cape Cod.

In a little over 100 miles, we came to Butte, where homes and businesses mingle with mine shafts on the side of a massive hill. Rumor/history has it that miners of old tunneled their way into the basements of the brothels and saloons in town. After Butte, you eventually start to climb over Homestake Pass and wind your way down toward Bozeman. There are amazing rock formations around the pass area, what look like (from the road at 75 mph) sandstone spires rising out of the pines. Good bouldering and sport climbing, I'm sure.

We didn't go all the way to Bozeman. We turned off the highway at the town of Cardwell: