Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

7.23.2007

Kick Out the Jam

I need to take a break from procrastinating on the Yellowstone posts for a bit and mention that Kate and I and her friends Sarah, Amalia and Angela took a trip up to Arlee, about 35 minutes north of Missoula, to participate in the first annual Raspberry Jam at Common Ground Farm. The idea is simple: pay at the gate, pick all you want, enjoy the bluegrass band at the edge of the berry patch. Here's what the whole scene looked like, but there was a bigger crowd than in the picture. They are all on their hands and knees between the rows of bushes:

I picked a near-heroic (by my own estimate) 2 gallons of berries, which have now been secreted through the house and await donation to friends and conversion into all sorts of raspberry recipes. I don't even know where to start. Amalia brought a really nice fruit soup and cheese and baguettes, and Kate was even kind enough to go buy me a raspberry lemonade and bring it out to me as I slaved among the thorns.

It was hot, but the picking didn't start until 6:00, which made it better. The bushes were totally loaded with berries, and I don't think the few hundred pickers that showed up made much of a dent.

Arlee is a beautiful place. The Mission Mountains rise up out of the Jocko Valley and I'm sure I could spend a day just staring at them from the fields, hiking them in my mind. Much of the mountainous country here is sacred tribal land, though, so I'm unlikely to ever go there.

So now comes the fun and I'm not sure where to start: Sorbet? Pie? Liquor? Tonight, it's going to have to be fresh raspberries by the handful and a beer on the side.