Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

12.11.2007

Skiing

video
2007 will not be the first calendar year of my life that I don't go skiing at all (last winter was my first non-skiing winter, which is saying something when you live 20 minutes away from a 2600 vertical foot ski area). Courtesy one of Kate's employers, I spent my Monday afternoon up at Lolo Pass, my first time on freeheel gear of any kind since a college trip to Gatineau Park in Ottawa during my freshman year. It was cold and sunny and still and wonderful to glide along the new snow up there. It sure beat fighting with ArcMap, which is what I would have been doing at the office. Kate's work does a trip like this once every six months (summer was a "float" down the Blackfoot River). Following our ski, there was a drive back and an attempt to visit a local bar, thwarted by the fact that it was closed, and remedied by a visit to another local place, which had an excellent plate of fried gizzards (dip in ranch, chew for a few minutes, swallow with beer, repeat as soon as you forget how bad it was) and one of the largest collections of dead animals and guns I've ever seen, as well as a NASCAR tribute room. A plywood cake with hinged top for jumping out of sat in the corner, unused. Kate and I played our worst game of pool ever. Then it was back home to shower out the smoke of a hundred Dorals, change into dinner clothes, and head off to the Depot for steak and the very best white elephant/ Yankee swap gift exchange I have ever been to. At various times, I was in possession of: a framed painting of a man smoking a cigarette and wearing a Mexican poncho, a small women's Christmas sweater, a set of slightly damaged remote-controlled boxing robots, and a set of potted fake flowers that smelled like basement. I got the flowers, and my slobby neighbors down the street are going to love them/ not notice them until spring when the snow melts. It was a great day and felt like several days worth of skiing, food and drink by the time it was all over. Now, I just need that weekend to get here...