Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

3.17.2008

An HDR Thought

Nice run again tonight- six miles after dinner with a belly full of chipotle black beans, tortilla, tomatoes, cilantro, onions peppers and scrambled egg- and it didn't even hurt the run too much. It's feeling wintry again, so the bikes are garages with the exception of commuting on my cruiser fixie (pictures of that later). I took this shot (actually, I held down the shutter and auto-bracketed two stops either side of the correct exposure) last night and did the old merge to HDR with Photomatix. I was thinking today about why I like HDR. Although part of it is the whiz-bang factor of doing the post processing, I think the other thing I like is the closer approximation of good slide film that you can get, but with more control. I can't imagine what this might be like if I knew what I was doing. The other thing I think worked well here was zooming the lens all the way on to 200mm, thus compressing the scene and pulling the North Hills and Snowbowl in closer to the buildings. Missoula Skyline All that said, even with camera tricks and color correction, yes, it really is that beautiful out here.