Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

3.02.2008

Spring Cleaning

Through more my own anxious desire to have some warm weather than any real change of climate, I decided that today was bike cleaning and de-winterizing day. The bike is question was my faithful Trek 930, which I have had since 1997, I think. It started life as a middle-of the road mountain bike with front suspension when front suspension was (to me, at least) a pretty big deal. The bike stayed in that configuration:

Until a year and a half ago, when the bottomed out suspension fork started to be a real drag and the abused drive train, with overstretched chain and shark-toothed cogs, was starting to skip on me any time I applied any real torque to the thing. All at once, I replaced the fork, stem, tires, chain and cogs, ending up with a 1X7 gear setup and a rigid fork. With the fenders added on, it was probably a wash, weight wise.

So, today, I stripped off the studded winter tires and put the slicks back on and gave everything a good cleaning. Here's to another season of riding!

The picture above is of the bike today. It's also an HDR shot (or actually, the composite of three bracketed shots.) HDR is great fun, and if you have a camera that you can adjust exposure on, I'd recommend giving it a try. Photomatix is a good place to start for free, though as you can see above, the free version watermarks your photos.