Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

7.13.2008

No Excuses

No excuses about not posting now, we finally got Internet access at home. The sweet part about it is we got it through Burlington Telecom, a local public/private utility that so far has been far easier to deal with than any of the faceless giants we have had before. So, currently, I'm waiting out a morning rainstorm for what was to be some sort of inaugural group ride with a bunch of the guys. One of the things I was most bummed out to leave behind in Missoula was the little REI group ride that I got started. It took some doing, and there were a lot of days it was just two of us out there, but by the time I left for Vermont there was a pretty solid crew out there every Sunday morning. I hope we get something going that is that regular. Yesterday was a beautiful day, so Kate and I headed down to Monkton to drop off my latest bike project for my dad. I didn't take pictures, so here's the project in a thousand words or less (skip italics below if you could care less about bikes): 1987 Univega road bike, 12 speed, purchased 12 years ago so my dad and sister could have a road bike to split. Nobody wanted a road bike back then anyway, so it was a steal. Dad wanted new cables, and I offered to install them. Got the bike home and while functional, it looked like a bit of a basket case. Looked like it had been sprayed with motor oil and rolled in sand. Took everything off the frame except the headset cups and simple greened like crazy. Rear wheel needed a spoke, tried a donor spoke I thought was long enough, trued the wheel, but it potato chipped in my hands when I went to de-stress it. Figured out the donor spoke was way too short, and I had tensed the wheel really weird to make it work. Dad had a new donor spoke that was a little longer. That one worked, so I rebuilt the wheel and got it pretty true. Bottom bracket was all bound up- pulled it and there was a missing bearing on the drive side, happened to have a cartridge bb lying around that fit perfectly. Pulled crank bolts off my fixie to finish the project and ordered new ones. Added black bar tape to replace once-red now pink stuff that was pretty worked. Put about 100 miles on it over a couple of days of testing. Cleaned everything and lubed the chain. It's a great little bike now with index shifting in the back, friction in the front and dead precise with the new cables. Dad was really happy with it and noted the smoothness. Kate and I continued down from Monkton to Bristol and Lincoln and spent the afternoon exploring swimming holes in Lincoln, then back to my parents' for dinner along with Nicole and Hans. Then home, and took in Everything is Illuminated- nice movie, I liked it. Good sleep, good breakfast, Nick's bringing another bike over today for me to "have a look at" today so that might be another fun project. Maybe ride later when the rain gets past us.