Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

8.04.2008

Open Letter to a Local Company

I got squeezed off the road, hard, today by a van on my way home. This is the message I sent to the company. I tried to stay pretty cordial- how did I do? TO: customerservice@XXX Hi there- I commute to and from work by bicycle. Today, I was traveling down XXX Street toward XXX Avenue on my bicycle. I was on the right side of the road, about a foot from the edge of the pavement, traveling at approximately 15 miles per hour. As I approached XXX Park, a van with your logos on it passed me at a high rate of speed with less than six inches of clearance to my left shoulder. As the van passed, it moved further to the right, forcing me off the pavement and to the dirt shoulder before the van had completed its pass. The number on the van was XXX. I continued to ride behind the van as it decelerated to make the left turn on to XXX Street. The driver then turned into the XXX parking lot. As I passed him, I noticed that he was on his cell phone, holding it with his left hand and steering with his right. I am a very conscientious bicycle commuter. I signal my turns, I ride with lights in the dark and I follow all of the rules of the road. I use my bike to get to work because it is a viable way to transport myself that also promotes fuel conservation, something folks at your company surely must appreciate. I'm not sure if your driver was distracted by his cell phone call, just didn't see me, or worse, saw me but felt that my space on the road wasn't worth his consideration. Whatever the case, I hope that if this driver or other drivers of yours are showing a pattern of disregard for some road users, that you consider an awareness campaign for them. The generally accepted practice for passing a cyclist is to give the cyclist at least three feet of room, and if this is not possible due to oncoming traffic or visibility constraints, to wait to pass the cyclist when those constraints are no longer present. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Sincerely, Matthew Boulanger Burlington