Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

8.18.2008

The River

On the last day of our long Bennington Battle Day weekend, Kate and Ben and I got down to the river for a swim. Vermont has plenty of rivers, but the New Haven River upstream of Bristol will always be "the river" to me. This is a spot called Split Rock, which I visit far less frequently than other places. We had the place to ourselves, and I swam under the whitewater of the falls, in the black calm space below, and rolled up to look at the foam, like I did so many times 10 years ago. There's a moment in that space, between the deep and the turbulent, between where there is no light and where the water is as much sun as it is water, when you can't tell which way the current will push you. Every time, in an instant, that moment passes and you float on your back, to serenely eddy out again, until the comfort of round cobbles comes under your feet.
Posted by Picasa