Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

9.21.2008

The Invasion

There was a huge car show in Essex Junction this weekend. Hot rods of all types descended, in candy-apple red, flame orange and deep purple, their throaty growls echoing across Burlington. That was not the car show I went to this weekend, though. Dad and I took his 1959 Bugeye Sprite up to Stowe for the British Invasion. On Sunday, British cars (even those not registered in the show) may come on to the exhibition field, where they park by color. We parked with the white cars. I have always wanted to be a car nut, but have never really gotten into it. Still, the smells, sights, sounds and stories that get passed around an event like this have some universal appeal. The drive up to Stowe was great, cruising back roads with our butts three inches off the ground and our eyebrows above the top of the windscreen, we shouted merrily over the motor in the fall fog. We arrived and parked in our row to have a look around. There are makes and models I've never head of, and others I've heard of all my life but never seen. There is great camaraderie, and handlebar mustaches, and tents full of imported British junk food. There are car parts, t-shirts and picnic sets for sale, the perfect thing to lash to a chrome luggage rack for a drive off into the country. There are two other bugeye (frogeye across the pond) Sprites, a stately black one, and a bright yellow one, vanity plate: RIBBIT. There's also a later, non-frogeye Sprite for sale, complete with period 8-track player and cartridge: and tale of woe: Many, many more photos here.
Posted by Picasa