Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

2.19.2009

The Trainer

Over the years, I have accumulated both a decent road bike and a fluid trainer.  With our move into the new house, I have also acquired the space to leave these things set up during the winter.  While the motivation to use the bike, trainer and space does not come as easily as the things, I have been able to start getting on the trainer with some regularity.  Here's what I have discovered so far:

1. My saddle position was all wrong last summer.  I had been compensating by getting up out of the saddle periodically.  That's hard to do on a trainer, and when a 40 minute session leaves you wondering if there will ever be any sensation there any more, you've got a setup issue.  I have lowered my saddle a bit and moved it forward about 5mm. I experimented with dropping the nose a degree or two, but have since brought the saddle back up level.
2. It feels like it is taking a little more effort to "ride" the same speeds that I go outside. I am fortunate enough to have a computer that registers my speed off the rear wheel, I don't find myself able to average the same speeds I can average on the road.
3. Riding the trainer is more boring than any kind of exercise I have ever engaged in, ever.  I'm glad to have my laptop propped in front of the bars and a healthy Netflix membership.
4. I'm getting excited, even in February, every time it gets a little warmer or a little brighter out.  I can't wait to be riding more outside.
5. You really notice little gear adjustment issues on the trainer.  If the gear you liek to train in wants to rub or hop around a little bit, you're off the bike and adjusting right then and there.
6. I'd really like to try rollers at some point.