Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

3.01.2009

"Plenty of room for fenders and big tires..."

How many times have I seen a cross bike or frame advertised with that phrase?  Pretty much every time one is advertised, I suppose.  In my new bike build, I'm really pushing the limits.  I have full fenders and 35's (Panaracer Smokes with a healthy tread, so they might measure out even bigger) on right now, along with a front derailer that simply will not play nice.  Once I got both the fender and the tire on, it was turn the tire, hear the rub, nudge the fender, no rub, turn the tire, hear the rub, pull out hair, retool the fender mount on the seatstay bridge, turn the tire, hear the rub, go upstairs and pace for awhile, back to the basement... ...you get the idea.

It took me forever to figure out that the rear tire was rubbing on the fender every time I shifted the derailer- which compressed the fender into the tread.  What's a guy to do? After much deliberation  (well, about 45 seconds spent thinking about just chucking the fenders and using my raceblades on rainy days) I decided to cut a hole.  A few minutes later (and about an hour looking for the last fender mountin nut, which had flown off in my zeal to remove the fender and lodged itself in the remotest, darkest corner of the basement, as small, critical parts are so often wont to do) I was in business.

Kate took one look at it and said "Won't that just channel all the mud and water right onto the derailer?"  I have to give her credit. It's probably the first question I'd have asked too.  But the choice here was between a fender with a hole in it or no fender at all.  I'm comfortable with my decision, and the tire rotates smoothly without rubbing.