Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

5.15.2009

Dan's CVT Road Bike- The Donor Bike



The Donor Bike for Dan's CVT project arrived last night.  I decided to put it all together.  I'll be stripping the frame completely for this project, but a quick assembly is a great way to do a parts check and make sure everything looks good.   I also wanted to try out making a time lapse video, as you can see above.  My camera can do continuous shooting, but not with a flash, and once it gets dim enough that the camera thinks it needs a flash, the anti-shake warning comes on and stops the continuous shooting until you override the warning.  All that means is that the camera stopped working before I got to put the pedals on, but they are there.  

There is much back ond forth on the Internet about bikes from Bikesdirect, how Bikesdirect is killing local shops, how the quality suffers, etc.  Here are my initial obsevations of one of the cheapest bikes from Bikesdirect:

1. Packing- the bike was as well packed as any other bike I've pulled out of a box to assemble, including most major-name brands.

2. Assembly- this bike came 90% assembled, with the rear wheel installed with the chain at a proper tension.  The stem, bar, front brake, fornt wheel and pedals needed to be installed, as did the seatpost and saddle. The bars came taped and the taping job was solid.

3. Wheel truing.  Unlike Ben's Clockwork, which needed some truing (3-4mm wobble in the front wheel on arrival) this bike's wheels seem pretty true and pretty round right out of the box.  That won't stop me from retruing them, of course.

4. Grease- there seems to be a fair amount of grease or loctite on the threads of all of the installed parts.

5. Finish- the paint looks good.  I noticed on chip about 3mm across on the front of one of the fork blades.  A little cear nail polish to prevent rust there and that will be just fine.

Overall, I think a person with a bit of mechanical knowhow, a 15mm wrench, a set of allen wrenches and a tube of grease could probably get this bike together and rolling with no problem.

Next steps:

The CVT hub should be on its way soon, and then I need to figure out what length spokes will be be needed to lace it into the existing rear rim.  I'll also get all of the parts off of the frame so that I can stretch the rear dropout spacing from 120 mm to 135 mm. Stay tuned.