Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

5.18.2009

Dan's CVT Road Bike- Hub and Spacing

One of the more major operations that has to happen for Dan's CVT bike project to work is that the rear dropouts need to be spaced to fit the 135mm spacing of the hub. As a single-speed bike, the Clockwork comes with 120mm spacing. There are two ways to space a frame that I am aware of- one involves a two-by four and the other involves a piece of all-thread, some washers and some nuts. I went for the latter:





















The picture above shows the dropouts pushed to almost 180mm. I started with pushing them to 150mm, but that sprung back to 125mm, so I had to go further. Pushing the dropouts to 180 mm caused them to spring back to about 132 mm. It takes very little effort to push the dropouts apart the additional 3mm to get the hub in. I have not yet checked to see if they have been moved equally. If they have, I'll probably leave the spacing at 132mm. If not, I can move one chainstay the extra couple of millimeters to get things centered up. By my eyeball, I think they are pretty well aligned. As shown below, the frame has been "stretched" to about 132mm. (Although you can see the all-thread in the dropout in this picture, the nut on the other side has been loosened all the way.)



















The hub fits easily into the dropouts:



















And from the side, for scale:



















I'll reserve most of my writing on the hub itself for another post. My first impression is that its weight is substantial (almost 8.4 pounds!!). It is clearly built to last, and is an impressive piece of machinery.