Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

5.19.2009

Sorta Home Improvement: The Picnic Table Project

Our house came with a picnic table in the back yard.   More accurately, our house came with a bunch of black mold and rotting wood shaped like a picnic table.  When it got warm enough that the ground thawed and I could drag it out into the driveway, I had a look and determined that it might be worth saving.  I spent part of an afternoon scrubbing it with a solution of oxalic acid (wear your protective gear, this stuff is corrosive!).  That got most of the surface mold off, turning a blackened table into one that looked like it was made out of new wood.  But, there were still the legs, or more accurately, the feet.  The feet were totally rotted out after sitting in wet ground for years.














This is where I got ambitious.  A few weekends ago, I decided to epoxy the feet.  I flipped the table over and shimmed underneath it until it was reasonably level.  I then picked a point on each leg that was the same distance from the bottom of the table top, and masked each foot starting at that level. Then, I drove a screw into the bottom of each foot until the head of the screw was the same distance from the bottom of the masking tape.

















I got my epoxy stuff ready...














And I filled up the feet.














Once it cured, I had a table with new, level, waterproof feet.













I stained the whole thing.  It took a quart of stain but I didn't get to soak in the end grain of the wood the way I wanted to.  One of these weekends, I'll get a second quart and finish the job.