Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

6.02.2009

Bikewise: Tracking Cycling Issues on a Map

Of the places I've lived, Missoula was second only to Copenhagen in terms of being friendly to bikes.  In fact, while I was there, I remember hearing that 14% of all trips to work in Missoula were made in some manner other than the dreaded single-occupant vehicle.  What made Missoula such a great place to get around on a bike? Lots of things, including bike lanes and paths, easy topography (Missoula is pretty much one big flat valley floor), and good local activism supporting cyclists.  Lots of good activist groups- just Google up Missoula Bike Advocacy" and see what shows.   Among those activist groups, The Missoula Institute for Sustainable Transportation (MIST) has had a mapping tool for some time that allows cyclists and pedestrians to log incidents and trouble spots in the city.  I was a regular user of that map in Missoula, and when I got here and started bike commuting, I found myself wanting the same thing.
Behold Bikewise: a map mashup started in Seattle, Bikewise can be used by anyone anywhere to log trouble spots, incident locations, and even places that are bad for bike theft.  Upon your first visit to Bikewise, you can set you home location and start logging in info. 
I really hope this takes off on a national scale.  Transportation planners, drivers and cyclists all need this kind of information.  I don't see anything in Burlington yet, but I have a few spots in mind along my South Burlington to Williston commute that I'll be adding in the next couple of days.