Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

7.29.2009

Hay! Cool Cards, Dad's Bike and Summer's Here...

Mixed Bag round-up since there isn't time for a full post:

1. Our friend Sarah from Missoula started doing a line of greeting cards, and she's got them up on Etsy now.  (My favorite is the "Hay" card as pictured)

2. I posted a "Dad's Bike After" picture from my cell over the weekend, which was a follow-up to a "Dad's Bike Before" post from around the first weekend of June.  What's different?  We added an  inexpensive suspension fork to his rig (and of course I cleaned up and tuned the whole thing as well). It was an adventure.  Let's just say that just because a steerer is threaded, one should not assume the tube diameter is an inch. Further, new suspension forks do not come with cable stops, since nobody uses cantilever bakes any more, right? Also, yes, I adjusted the angle of the saddle after I took that picture.  Yes, the almost 20 year old bike (last year of the lugged-frame 930's) handles a little differently with a taller fork, but the suspension is worth it.

3. I re-caned my canoe seats over the weekend.  I'd never done something like that before.  Pictures and more description on that later.

4. Another cell post over the weekend showed a view of Upper and Lower Wolfjaw, Gothics, etc. from Noonmark, in Keene Valley.  The hike was nice, but the really great thing was getting back into the Adirondacks after years of not being there.  Driving from Keene up to Lake Placid brought back so many memories (now, shockingly, a decade old!) of driving to and from St. Lawrence.  I need to write more about that as well.

5.  Dad found me a free bike on the side of the road.  It's a Trek 460, from 1984.  Some of these were welded up in the US, and a few were made in Japan.  I haven't checked the serial number on this one yet to see which it is, as I have been occupied with other projects.  It was a model sold only in 1984 and 1985, as Trek's entry-level racing bike.  I have all sorts of designs on this bike, but I may just go for a bargain-basement fixie conversion, as I have not had a fixie in the stable since the demise of the Montgomery Ward conversion (there's a story in that as well).

6. The garden is totally exploding right now, and we will soon be up to our ears in tomatoes. The challenge is slowing the cilantro and basil down a bit so there can be lots of salsa and sauce forthcoming.

That's it for now, more detail later.