Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

7.08.2009

The Indignity of Commuting by Bicycle: Crashing

The more you ride a bike, the more chances you have for relatively improbable events to occur.  When I got my first clipless pedals a little over a year ago, my boss at REI told me I'd fall over while clipped in, at least once.   I actually got the pedals before the road bike came in, installed them on my then-commuterized Trek 930, and practiced clipping in and clipping out on the grass.  I wasn't going to be one of those guys. 

And I wasn't.  Until today, a couple of thousand miles into my clipless cycling career. 

I was stopped at a red light (a long red light) and trackstanding.  As the light turned green, I leaned forward to gain some momentum and started to pedal.  I'm not sure exactly what hapened next, but I did not move forward (or rather the bike didn't) and I went over the handlebars.  My theory is that I jammed my forward foot against the front tire and that when I started to try to pedal forward the rear wheel came off the ground and spun a little.

So there I was, on the ground at a major intersection, with at least one car stuck behind me as i got back up.  I gave them a sort of "Thank you/ I'm sorry" wave and made haste to the sidewalk. I gave the wheels a spin, found everything to be in order, walked the crosswalk and was on my way again.

There isn't really a lesson to be learned here, except that you should be prepared for just about anything to happen on a bike.  I tend to ride pretty assertively and while I don't think of myself as invincible, I'm not a timid commuter.  Still, lying on my side with my eyes at fog light level, trapped in my pedals, put a whole new perspective on the thing. Anything can happen, and anybody can find themselves dependent upon the kindness of strangers at any moment.  Big thanks to the driver of the white Highlander behind me, for their kindness and tolerance of my foolish situation this morning.