Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

8.02.2009

Fixing the Canoe Seats

Last weekend, I repaired the stern seat of our canoe (the cane gave
way). Since I had enough stuff, I did the bow seat as well. Here are
my observations:
1. Soak the cane for a minmum of two hours. It will take that long to
get the old cane out of the seats and get the groove in the seat
frames really clean anyway.
2. If you use a really sharp chisel to clean the seat grooves, you'll
probably stab yourself in the leg with it at leats once.
3. The cane has a right and a wrong side. Putting it in wrong side up
will bend it the wrong way and cause the individual strands to break.
You'll have to rip it out and do it again.
4. There is no such thing as too much glue.
5. This takes about four hours from start to finish.
6. when you think you have the seat grooves clean enough, set them
aside with a little vinegar and water in the groove, then go back and
do them again.
7. The cane will shrink to make the seats a little more taut than when
you set them at first, but not by much. I would have stretched these
a little tighter if I had known that.

DSC_2311.jpg
DSC_2312.jpg
DSC_2313.jpg
DSC_2314.jpg
DSC_2315.jpg
DSC_2316.jpg
DSC_2317.jpg
DSC_2319.jpg
DSC_2320.jpg
DSC_2322.jpg
DSC_2324.jpg
DSC_2325.jpg
These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/