Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

8.09.2009

The Trek 460 Project: Initial Teardown and Future Daydreams.

(Apologies for the "all photos up front" format of this post. Blogger plays horribly with photo layout, and until somebody shows me a solution, I'm just going to post via email with my photos as attachments.  It's not pretty, but it gets the job done.)

Sometimes bikes fall into our lives. The series of pictures in this blog post documents my initial disassembly of one of those bikes.  A couple of weeks ago, my father mentioned to me that he had picked up a bike with a "free" sign on it at the bottom of somebody's driveway. Some kind of old Trek road bike. Did I want it?  Because if I didn't want it he could just put it down at the bottom of his driveway with a "free" sign on it.  Of course I wanted it, sight unseen.

The bike is a Trek 460, made in 1984 and 1985.  This one is from '84, the 85's were red. The catalog photo shows the bike with white bar tape and cables, but those were yellow on this one, which was the stock color on the red '85 model.  I wonder if this particular bike was made at the end of the production run.  The 460 was sold as an entry-level race bike, for about 400 bucks in 1984.  This particular one came from the Bike Peddler, in Greeley, Colorado, according to the sticker on the down tube.

As it came to me, this bike was in pretty rough shape, and had had a hard life.  My guess is that it started out as somebody's entry-level race bike, (I know, shocking) but from the scraped-up pedals and the mismatched front wheel (a Mavic sew-up rim) my guess is that at some point somebody re-purposed this bike as a criterium bike, while a newer, zipper model took its place in the stable as the primary racer, too nice to be banged around on a crowded short course.  The significant amount of brake wear on both rims tends to support heavy criterium use (or heavy descending) as well.

The saddle is branded Schwinn, made by Viscount. I'm pretty sure it isn't original. The front brake is anodized black and the rear is silver, so one of those is probably not original as well.  The bike is missing one brake hood and the remaining brake hood was lashed togther with elsectric tape.  The mismatched parts, along with lots of wear on the down tube near the head tube suggests that this bike most recently was used by somebody who rode it as a commuter, and who locked it to racks witht he front wheel up over the spine of the rack. (This makes me cringe when I see it- there was a really sweet Bianchi Axis locked that way at City Market the other night).

Getting a bike like this back on the road will be a pleasure, a fun project to do this summer and fall, but I have to make some decisions.  People have gone to pretty great lengths to restore old Treks, and as the saying goes "it's only original once."  Others might go so far as to strip the frame, have it powdercoated, order up a complete set of decals (yes, to you non cyclists out there, this will sound completely nuts, but there are actually people who will make you reproduction decals for your old road bike) and spend years collecting the right parts to get a bike like this back on the road.

In this case, the one time this bike was "original" happened a long time ago. The rust spots need to be addressed, but those old Trek logos look pretty nice.  I could use a fixie in the stable, since the demise of my Mongomery Ward conversion. I could also set up a pretty cool downtube-shifted 650b ride. More on that later. I headed around the corner for a can of Krylon "true blue."

As you can see in the photos, I removed everything except for the headset cups.  I lightly sanded all of the rusty spots and scuffed up the rest of the paint with steel wool, avoiding the decals.  I masked over the decals and then panted the frame. I removed the tape over the decals and feathered them in as best I could.  It's one of those "perfect 10" paint jobs, in that it looks perfect from 10 feet away.  The last photo int he series shows my masking and feathering job around the decals on the fork.

As I write this, I have put the seastpost back in and have degreased and cleaned all of the headset bits. I'm out of grease, so I'll have to pick up a tube before proceeding any further.  I have a track hub, left over from Dan's CVT project, that I could put to use in a new rear wheel, and I can cut the front hub that came with the bike out of its tubular rim.  The crank has a 52-tooth big ring, and I still have the Surly 22-tooth cog from that Monkey Ward bike.  I have a set of hoods that came extra with the brake levers on my Scattante. I have plenty of brake housing left from the 25-foot roll I bought when I was redoing the brakes on my Trek 930 mountain bike (more on that later, too!).  That leaves brake cables, bar tape, rims and spokes to purchase should I go the fixie route. If I decide to keep the gears, I'm going to need shift cable as well as the aforementioned items.

I'll keep the updates coming as the project progresses.