Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

11.08.2009

My Trek 460 Fixed-Gear

The story of this bike starts like lots of my bike stories. Somebody (in this case, my dad) saw a bike with a "free" sign on it at the bottom of a driveway, thought of me, and brought the bike to my doorstep. 

It was pretty beat, as the first picture shows it, but I took everything off of the frame and went to work with sandpaper and krylon "true blue" paint, masking around the old Trek decals.  In repainting the frame, I was going for something functional and not too ugly, and that's about what I ended up getting.  I documented the initial teardown here.  
I was on the fence originally about rebuilding this bike with its gears as a 650b or doing a fixie, but I haven't had a fixed-gear since my old Montgomery Ward conversion (Fixed Gear Gallery # 3635) bit the dust last fall.  Inspired by the yellow Benotto tape that was on the bars, I ordered up some Weinmann DP18's in yellow, which got me thinking about making other parts of the bike yellow to match. I considered going as far as ordering up yellow brake cable housing. Instead, the madness stopped with a sheet of "happy face yellow" marine vinyl which allowed me to re-cover the saddle (if badly). 
This bike is set up with the 52-tooth big ring that came with it and the 22-tooth cog that I had in my parts bin- it turns out to be a really serviceable gear for my daily commute, with a hill that I can just barely mash up in the morning and just barely spin down at night- without standing up or touching the brakes.   
It has been really great getting back out on a fixie and using it regularly.  I have been using it as my main commuter bike for the last month and plan to do so until it's time for the winter bike again.