Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

12.16.2009

Can a lifestyle dependent on cars be "green?"

I just left this comment on the Orton Foundation's Facebook page after they linked to an article on "20-minute living."  It got me thinking about all of the people in Vermont who build a "green" house on a 5 acre lot and then drive many miles to and from it to conduct all of the business of their daily lives.  Am I being too harsh here?  

"A lot of people in places like Vermont are going to have to change ther idea of what affluence means in terms of housing choice. The paradigm right now remains "get enough money, move as far away and as deep into the countryside as you can, and use subsidized cheap gasoline and single-occupancy vehicle trips to do it" Until we start calling that what it is (rural sprawl) we will continue to be oil-dependent and we will continue to consume natural resources at an unsustainable rate. I don't care how well insulated your house is or if you have solar panels. If you live in the country and live a distance from work that can only be driven, you are contributing to rural sprawl."

Discuss.