Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

4.23.2010

Brewing Journal: Batch #1, Entry #6

Batch #1 fermentation has slowed markedly.  Krausen has fallen entirely.  There's a bubble in the airlock about every 1.5 minutes.  I expect to be taking gravity readings starting next week to see where I'm at.  Then: decisions, decisions.  The consensus at Homebrewtalk.com is to leave things longer, the instructions that came with the kit say two weeks or so, then bottle it up. I'm debating doing a secondary (It's a wheat beer, so if it's a little cloudy, that should be OK.) I may wait for gravity to stabilize and then go right to the keg, and if I do not have a means of refrigeration I may go ahead and add priming sugar when kegging. Consensus on HBT falls somewhere between using 1/2 to using all of the rpiming sugar that would be used when bottling. I'm thinking about spiltting the difference at 2/3 the amount.  Then, there is the determination as to whther cane sugar or corn sugar is best.  I have some nice raw cane sugar I could see using. Time will tell. Lots of freezers showing up on craigslist, amny of them in Vermont but far enough away that the drive to see them would equal 50-100% the cost of purchase.  I'm holding out for a good one to show up in Burlington. If I keg with priming sugar, it could sit in the keg for another three weeks before requiring refrigeration.