Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

5.03.2010

Brewing Journal: Batch #1, Entry #8; Batch #2, Entry #1 and #2

5/2/2010
Kegged Batch #1.  Used 3/8 of a cup of sugar dissolved in 6 ounces of boiling water to prime, racked over with the siphon. Pumped the keg to 30 psi and purged, 3x, then added gas just to lift the needle on the regulator. Keg is resting in the brew closet at 60-62 degrees. 

5/2/2010
Started Batch #2. Decided to do a 2.5-gallon boil. Activated yeast pack at 8:00 AM, started to heat water at 12:00 PM. Added specialty grains and steeped for 20 minutes at 158 to 155 degrees. Set the Liquid Malt Extract in a bowl of hot water at the same time I activated the yeast- this made it much easier to pour our when the time came.  I was able to remove some hot break with my skimming spoon- i had not done this with batch #1.  I froze eight bike water bottles in the refrigerator overnight and used this in my water bath to cool the wort instead of buying ice. The wort cooled from boiling to about 100 degrees in 20 minutes. Original gravity was 1.045. Put it in the fermenter with a blowoff tube instead of an airlock. 

5/3/2010
Batch #2 Rapid fermentation activity as of this morning. Temperatures in the fermentation vessel at right around 63 degrees.