Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

5.05.2010

Return to Bike Commuting

For reasons that escape me, or that I am simply not willing to name (OK, laziness) this week has been my first full week back on the bike, commuting-wise. I'm not sure why it took so long to get back out there, and I'm really glad to have plunged back into it head-on. My good-enough job at rebuilding the rear wheel on the Scattante has held up so far, and the new triple crank has been much appreciated on the one big climb that stands between me and my office every morning.

Still, a regular riding regimen makes all of the little repairs that are needed stand out.

  • Despite my replacing the bottom bracket when I changed out the crank, the bike still has a mystery creak when I push down hard on the drive-side pedal.  I'm writing it off as not fixable for now, and hoping it doesn't turn into a busted frame at an inopportune time. 
  • The stem is installed a little off kilter, something that I didn't notice when I still had a front fender on. I ditched the front fender as it had been the culprit in two trackstand-related fall-overs, including the one that wrecked my rear wheel last summer.   
  • The derailer hanger might be bent.  I haven't replaced it yet with the one that I wrestled out of performance last year. Right now the biggest cog on the cassette is useless to me because shifting on to it brings the scary ting-ting-ting of derailer cage on spokes. No need to wreck another wheel, derailer, and the hanger if I don't have to. 
  • The front and rear wheels could both stand to be trued better.  I can feel pulsing in the rear when I brake and I can hear the slight hop in the front wheel when I get going fast. 
  • The current derailer does not give me enough tension in the small-small gear combination.  I might be able to shorten the chain by a link to fix this. 
  • The drivetrain is noisy- I'm going to attribute this to the fact that the derailers came off a 13-14 year old mountain bike that took a pretty good beating before it got turned into a single speed. 
  • I hate the seat pack I bought for this bike. It is too wide and my legs hit it when I pedal.
That's all I can think of now, but riding in the morning quiet gives me plenty of time to listen to every creak, every rub, and to feel every thing that might be a little out of perfect alignment. It will be good to get everything dialed in a little better soon.