Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

7.16.2010

Brewing Journal: Batch #3, Entry #1

Batch #3 Started. Northern Brewer Chinook IPA. Boil water was Price Chopper spring water, purchased for $4.50.  Steeping grains were crushed in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin as they did not appear to have been crushed by the supplier, then added to the boil water in a steeping bag and brought to 170 degrees, held there for 20 minutes, then removed. No squeezing as this is supposed to produce tannins.  The boil went well, hop additions: 1oz Chinook at 60 minutes, .5oz at 10 minutes, .5 oz at the end of the boil. First time using Dried malt extract (DME).  It goes into the wort like powdered sugar and produces more foam than the liquid stuff. I had some trouble with the "smack pack" of yeast for this batch, as the internal yeast nutrient pack did not burst when I "smacked" the package. I added the nutrient and yeast liquid to the wort, but my guess is I drastically under-pitched and will experience lag. Anyway, it's in the fermenter at 76 degrees in the basement right now, rigged with a blowoff tube. Original gravity 1.050, wort sweet and malty, good bitter flavor and hop aroma on the nose. Hope the yeast can get in gear and do its stuff.