Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

10.14.2010

Brewing Journal: Batch #6, Entry #1

Batch #6 "Brew Day"  In quotes because this a a batch of hard apple cider.  I pitched Wyeast Cider, Sake and Distilling Yeast into 5.5 gallons of fresh unpasteurized apple cider from Boyer's Orchard in Monkton, Vermont.  I had purchased Campden Tablets to kill any wild nasties in the cider, but I have never had an infection problem with wild-fermented cider from Boyer's before and was scared off by the reports of bitterness from the tablets that can take a year to age out.  When I purchased the cider, I noticed absolutely no flies (fruit or otherwise) in the cider house or around the press, which is a good sign that they are being meticulous about keeping things clean.  Fermentation was noticeable within 12 hours.