Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

11.02.2010

Austen's Arrival: Part Two

We navigate the hospital, Kate in the bed, Austen on the bed, me walking behind. The ceilings get shorter, the floors, dingier and the halls narrower. We go to our room. A curtain divides us from our roommates, their car seat is visible, and they leave in the still early morning. The door clicks every few minutes and the parade of interlopers begin. Nurse, Lactation Consultant, Janitor, Resident, Doctor, Surgeon, Food Service. The room was made to fit everything in it, then reduced in size by 10%. This is the last place I'd want to heal, except that the concentration of professionals here make it necessary.  In the mid evening, I go home to check on things and to take a nap. I go back to the hospital in the early morning hours on Tuesday.


Monday

The world is a room
too small for what's in it
and brightly lit.
The two of them sleep.
I listen to the rattle of
unwanted dry air. The
rain outside softens the line
between day + night,
The door latch clacks.
They come to take a pulse, the
trash, to leave
food, advice, supplies.
Every quarter hour a jolt.
I go out of town, to the house
and it's strange. This place
we left in Labor
will not be our home.
It will be here and some other thing.
The house demands quiet now.
The house demands darkness now.
Closing the door, it inhales waiting
for our return.