Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

11.01.2010

Brewing Journal: Batch #4, Entry #4; Batch #6, Entry #2

10/24/2010
Batch #4 racked to keg. Gravity was down to 1.024, not what I was hoping for but better than nothing. Natural carbonation via 1/2 cup of cane sugar. The sample tasted good, different from a week ago and thinner, less sweet, so it's headed in the right direction.  I have been following a thread on homebrewtalk.com discussing this recipe (Northern Brewer bourbon Barrel Porter) and many have had similar stuck fermentations. Certainly its a lesson in the necessity of yeast starters for big beers. 1.065-1.024 X 135 = 5.5% ABV. 

Batch #6 also racked to a keg, added 1/2 cup cane sugar and 1/4 cup maple syrup as well as a pound of lactose for back sweetening. Batch #6 at 1.000 gravity, very dry. I had enough in the fermenter to rack off almost a gallon into growlers that would not fit int he keg. The cider has nice apple flavors, a little bit of a hot alcohol bite, and a very dry finish with a little bit of sourness.  I'm not sure I'd be happy to serve it at this point but I have heard the ciders benefit greatly from age. Hopefully keeping it in the keg and with a blanket of carbon dioxide there will not be any acetobacter activity, otherwise it'll be a lifetime supply of apple cider vinegar. 1.051-1.000 X 135 = 6.8% ABV. 

10/31/2010
Cleaned carboys that had soaked in oxy-clean solution since last weekend. Both were emptied and double-rinsed with clean tap water.  They should get another rinse and then Star-San before their next use.