Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

11.25.2010

Thanksgiving

Maybe the is the obligatory "what I am thankful for" blog post.

I recently spent some time going back over the five years' worth of entries that have accumulated here, adding tags to some of them in an attempt to get things a little more organized. There was a lot to reflect on in there, and many, many things came to mind that could be used to end the sentence "I am thankful for..."

So here are a few of them:





Great friends and family. As I look over the last few years of entries, I am amazed at the generosity of the people I am surrounded by. These people have helped me pack, move, unpack, remodel, relocate buildings, ride bike races, and so much more.




Our cat, Ishmael, who came into our lives not long after I started this blog.  He adds a randomness to our home life that nobody could replace, and how can you argue with unconditional love from something so soft and warm?













All of the bicycles in my life, and all of the things they've taught me and places they've taken me. Coming back to cycling over the last few years has been revelation.

Most of all, my wife and our new son.  Every day that I come home to them is a great day, no matter what else happened. Austen and Kate are my whole life, and I don't know what I did to deserve them.

I've left some more things out- the amazing places I've been to over the last five years, the food I've cooked and eaten, the new pastime I have found in homebrewing, the continued opportunity to write, a rewarding career that makes a difference in the world...  I spend way too much time waiting for the next thing to happen, even while I'm doing the thing I'm doing.  Thanksgiving is a great time to remember that all these things I was doing, all of these people in my lives, that life at its fullest demands that I be present for them when they are there, not just waiting, or worrying, or planning ahead.

Thanks, everybody.