Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

12.16.2010

Brewing Journal: Batch #7, Entry #1

Batch #7, Northern Brewer Black IPA. This is a high-gravity beer, and I want to give the yeast a fighting chance to work through the projected 1.078 original gravity.  I used a cup and a half of the supplied dark liquid malt extract in 2.6 quarts of filtered water to make a yeast starter.  I boiled the water and malt for a full 20 minutes and cooled the pot in a sinkful of ice water.  I pitched the fully-inflated Wyeast 1422 American Ale II yeast "smack pack" into the starter.  I arrived at the malt and water amounts by using mrmalty.com, an online yeast propagation calculator.