Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

12.20.2010

Brewing Journal: Batch #7, Entry #2

Northern Brewer Black IPA (extract kit with specialty grains. Heated 2.5 gallons of the spring water to 170 degrees and steeped specialty grains (.25 lbs dehusked Carafa III, .25 lbs Chocolate Malt, .5 lbs Briess Caramel 80) for 20 minutes. At the start of the boil, I added what was left of the three pound container of dark liquid malt (some went into the starter) and one ounce of Summit hop pellets, per instructions. At 45 minutes in, the 6 pounds of dark malt syrup and one ounce of Simcoe hops went in.  Then an ounce of Centennial hop pellets at 10 minutes, one ounce of Cascade pellets at 5 minutes, one ounce of Amarillo hop pellets and one pound of corn sugar at the completion of the boil. Chilling was accomplished in an ice water bath in my sink. Holy hop sludge! I had to clean my strainer out twice as I got the wort into the fermenter.  I measured the original gravity at 1.075 and pitched the yeast starter.  I observed active fermentation (bubbling blow-off tube) within three hours, which is a much better (shorter) lag time than I saw with the bourbon barrel porter. I'm hoping the combination of pitching a big yeast starter and the pound of corn sugar will help this dry out significantly more than the porter did.