Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

1.30.2011

Brewing Journal: Batch #7, Entry #3

Batch #7 (Black IPA) racked to a secondary vessel with 1 oz. Ahtanum hop pellets for dry-hop. Hope to rack it to the keg on Friday.  Measured Final Gravity at 1.020, with Original Gravity at 1.075, this gives an ABV of 7.425% Tasted the hydrometer sample (at 68 degrees, flat)- a little sweet, as to be expected, very nice bitter finish.  I thought I had an off flavor I could only identify as "raw four" or "over-risen bread," but it is most likely the alcohol at such a warm temperature. I'm having a hard time identifying the hops other than the bittering hops at this point. Very interesting. Nowhere near as sweet as the Bourbon Barrel Porter tasted at this point, so I'm happy.  The forums on Northern Brewer suggest that this kit in extract form rarely finished below 1.020, so I'm going to call it good.