Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

1.24.2011

More Cold Weather Activities

Cold days are perfect days to look over our new illustrated copy of Thoreau's Cape Cod.



One of the things I truly love about our house is that the south-facing picture window in the living room absolutely floods it with natural light and radiant warmth. It does, however, make taking anything other than ultra-contrasty pictures a challenge. Even with pretty powerful fill flash, the result usually looks something like this.

Austen is fascinated by books. It's more than just the pictures- it's the motion of the turning pages, the "reading voice" we each use that is different form the voice we use when we speak to him, maybe even the smell of the ink.  I don't think about it a lot, but when I look at our living room and its ragged collection of bookshelves and their contents, I feel proud that Austen will grow up among them.  Just having them there, maybe some rainy or cold day, he'll wonder what a Hemingway or a Tennyson is, or maybe he'll pick up one of the many hiking guides we've accumulated and spend an afternoon dreaming about the Rattlesnake or Mount Mansfield or Yellowstone or the dunes in Provincetown.  Maybe he'll find The Far Side Gallery and wonder why anybody thinks half of those cartoons are even funny. I mean really, talking cows?

I'm so proud that Kate and I have have created this space for him, and hope that we maintain it as one he can always return to.