Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

2.20.2011

Body Work

Winter Hibernation
I could blame it on Austen’s birth, but that wouldn’t be fair. I could blame it on getting sick and not biking to work much since November, but that wouldn’t really be fair either.  I could blame it in the fact that I absolutely love, love, good food and drink and the manufacture and consumption thereof, and while true, that wouldn’t really be fair either.

The truth is, I don’t exercise enough (OK, at all over the last few months) and I eat junk food. That’s right, junk food. Gourmand that I am, lover of all things smoked and slow-cooked and sauteed and home grown and home brewed that I may be, I will destroy a bag of Fritos, a Snickers bar, a bad gas-station sandwich and a root beer like nobody’s business, and I’ve been doing too much of that lately. Then I’ll go home and sack out on the couch, no joke.



I’m overweight.



Until the weekend before last, I hadn’t weighed myself in years, but having now purchased a decent scale, not only can I state emphatically that I am overweight, but that I am a lot overweight.   In fact, when I came back up from the basement with its nascent workout area and scale and told Kate the number, she looked surprised. “You carry it really well,” she said.



I know better. I know that my pants don’t fit right. I know that I can stand in the mirror and look all OK, but then I’ll see some picture of me, and it looks like like I’m twice the size of all the other people in the frame.  Seriously, any one of the other people in this picture could skin me and wear me as a suit:


To Protect the innocent.


I need to do something about it, and I decided that I’m going to. I read a great quote the other day from somebody who embarked on a similar journey: ” I don’t have a weight problem, I have a discipline problem.” I have allowed myself to get out of shape by approaching food and exercise with absolutely no discipline whatsoever. I have been disengaged from my own body, and it is starting to feel neglected and complain. So there it is. And I need help, dear readers, from as many of you who want to help.




The Goal
It starts with raising my consciousness by weighing in every morning, and by keeping a journal of what I eat and how much I exercise.  Oh yes, and by making my goal public.  So here it is: I want to weigh 30 pounds less than I did on February 7th by the first day of June.  I’ll need to lose about 1.88 pounds a week to make that happen.


Wish me luck, and watch for future posts on my progress.