Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

2.26.2011

Yeast Fountains and other Misadventures

Last Sunday, I brewed up a Honey Kolsch, a beer of modest gravity (1.047, so let's say if it finishes up at 1.010, we might be looking at 5% alcohol).  I didn't think much of it as I sealed the fermenter up with a conical stopper and an airlock. I love these new conical stoppers because their shape makes it so you physically cannot push the stopper too far in. I didn't think much of it when it started fermenting a day later, with a nice white krausen on top of the beer about an inch think.

Then the week happened. I didn't think much about my beer at all. Until last night, when I opened up the closet and found this:
Krausen in the Airlock. If this clogs up, the whole stopper flies out on a wave of yeasty foam, painting the ceiling.

I went and got one of my older "you can push it all the way into the bottle by mistake" stoppers and a length of blowoff hose and a growler of sanitizer, and set this up:
Yeast Fountain Avoided.

It started bubbling away within minutes.  I should have know better.  I have been starting all of my beers with blowoff hoses until this last batch. I've never had such a big weird krausen come up before, but this just goes to show that it can happen, even on a lower-gravity beer, and that it might happen a few days into fermentation.  In these colder months, when my clothing closet doubles as my fermentation chamber, it pays to pay attention.