Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

5.17.2011

Bike Musings

I have my aspirations for this to be a bike blog, but there hasn't been much to write home (or to anywhere)  about lately. It took all of April to get me off my butt and back into the routine of riding to work. With a new baby and a working mom and one car, the whole process was turned upside-down again, and the fact that all bike maintenance and other non baby-caring-for projects must now be done in 20 minute spurts between doing all of the other necessary things (like showering and feeding oneself and giving one's way-too-understanding wife a break every now and then)

Deep Breath. I've been training since February. I've been losing weight and blogging about it. I've been riding the rollers and outside and blogging about it. Great things have come from this. I'm stronger on the bike than I have ever felt before. I'm happier out there. I got my beautiful Scattante all set up with it's new cool handlebar and diamond-wrap and shellac bar tape, everything fitting together nicely and feeling just great.

I love these new bars and tape. 


Two weeks into my outdoor riding season and the frame is cracked. Bummer. I've been communicating with Performance, they are sending me a return label and I'm trying to find time to get the frame disassembled and cleaned up so I can send it back. I'm really holding out hope that I can somehow keep my beautiful bar taping job intact through the inevitable frame swap.

Such is life. I'm riding to work all week this week on the Trek 460 fixie, which is fun and as long as you're going to slog through the rainiest bike-to-work week ever, it might as well be on a fixie with an uncluttered drivetrain, making getting all the grit off of it at the end of the day a little easier.

Ridin' dirty.


Anyway, riding is great, life is good, work and baby are good but exhausting. I am doing more in my life than writing down everything I eat and weighing myself every day, though from the looks of this blog you wouldn't know it.  I think two years ago I wrote a post called "Welcome to new Ireland" about all the rain we'd been having. It's the same this year.  I'm getting used to it. Riding in the rain isn't all that bad, it's just not as easy-as-falling-down as throwing on bibs and a jersey to jump on the bike for a spin on a windless 70-degree day. Those days will come soon enough.