Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

5.10.2011

Running Clear: Let's help Nate get his album out!

I'm a fan of Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a website where a person or a group with a goal that needs funding can advertise that goal to the world and take pledges from people to make that goal happen. If the funding goal isn't met, nobody pays anything at all.

We all have dreams, I think. Little projects in the back of our mind that we would embark on, if it wasn't for the fact that all of our money was tied up in the necessities of life. mortgages, food, student loans, car payments and the like. How many dreams, collectively in the world are there that sit, latent, as humanity struggles to just get the boring stuff of life done? Having the time to pursue a dream is a lucky thing, and if that dream takes some money too, having the money for it is even luckier.

So that's why I like Kickstarter. It's a nice, simple way that you can share that dream with anybody who can get on the web. You can tell everybody about your dream, your project, your invention, whatever, and then those people can help you by pledging to fund it. Here's Nate's dream:



Nate's a guy who lives up in Lincoln, Vermont, with his daughter Abigail and his draft horse Zuma, and he writes and plays music.

If you've never been to Lincoln, all I can tell you is that it's a beautiful and inspiring place. in fact, it's one of those kinds of places I should write a couple of essays about because like Cape Cod and like Copenhagen, it's one of those places that has informed and enriched my life over the years.  Nate was a few years behind me in high school, and while I haven't seen or spoken with him in some time, I know he's a good guy. And he makes music. Good, sweet original music inspired and informed by the beautiful place where he lives.  He's got an album, ready to go but for the mastering and the funding to do so. So he put up a Kickstarter page about it. You should check it out, and help him get his album made. Twelve bucks gets you a CD if the project is funded:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/519017465/running-clear-an-album-of-original-music-by-nate-g

I pledged because it's great music, it's a person I know, and it comes from a place I hold dear- but I also pledged because I could see myself doing a Kickstarter one of these days, for a chance to get the funds to do something I love- maybe I'll want some funding for a writing retreat or a chapbook someday, or to set up my cargo-bike based fresh doughnut sales operation (I have this way more planned out in my head than I should!), or to start my nonprofit foundation that will pay off outstanding loan balances for law school dropouts...

Let's make this dream happen for Nate, and then let's think about what each of our dreams are. In closing, there's a great quote from yesterday's XKCD comic, one that should be on the ceiling of your bedroom so you see it each morning: