Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

6.30.2011

On "Minimalism"

I opened my overstuffed closet the other day, and counted the number of things on hangers. 138. I started pulling, until exactly half were gone. I filled two big laundry bags and dropped them off at the local Planetaid (I know it's a scam, but it's better than a dumpster) box.  I'll never miss what I got rid of, but the space and mental clarity when I open the closet sure is nice.

That's my version of minimalism. If something's dragging you down or getting in the way, get rid of it. That's it. No trying to live out of a backpack or whatever.

Having a baby makes you realize that time and energy, things you have in so much abundance in your youth, are suddenly your most precious commodities.  In my mind, Doing it Right means spending most of that commodity on your kid, then whatever's left on who and what you love, then pay the bills. Well, pay the bills first because you have to to be able to do any of the other stuff.

I read my horoscope the other day and it said something about spending the next six months trying to make a dream happen, and that it would take me two hours a day, every day (if it was a big dream). Huh. Maybe I'm already living the dream. Beautiful wife, happy kid, cute little house on a cute little street, passionate (sometimes) work, write a little, make good food, hammock in the backyard.  The dream.

Two hours a day. What I would give for two uninterrupted hours a day right now.  What I'll do with those hours if I ever see them again.