Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

7.08.2011

Another Reason to get a Minivelo

It fits in back of the car.

No wheel removal required.

The car needs work, and I have the day off today, so I threw the Nano into the back of the Jeep and took it over to our mechanic in Winooski (Pecor Auto, by the way, Sean and his dad are good people).  It was fun to drop off the car and then just whip this out of the back and ride away in a matter of seconds!

I rode home on the Riverside Avenue bike path, up North Prospect Street, across the Redstone Campus and out Spear Street over to Dorset Street and home again.  It's the most pleasant trip I've ever made to take a car to the mechanic.

It's about 70 degrees out, by the way, with very little humidity and blue skies. This is what I call "Chamber of Commerce Weather."  The breeze on the way home blew through my clothes and I barely broke a sweat.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but I have replaced the squishy stock saddle with a firmer model, the Nashbar R2. Many people complain about the firmness of this saddle, but my half-hour ride home was accomplished in regular shorts without padding, and I felt just fine. Your mileage may vary. I had my first real ride on the R2 last night and raised the seat about 10mm right of the bat. I raised it another five this morning.  So just remember, if you have a Nano with the stock seat and you already have the seatpost up at its maximum height, you may not be able to change out the saddle without getting a longer post.

A word on fit, that I realized I left out of yesterday's post: This is the large size Nano, which they call a 53.5cm bike. I ride a 56 road bike that feels a wee bit big and my Scattante cross bike was a 54.  As I get this dialed in, the fit feels perfect. I'm 5'10" with a pretty normal torso and leg length, maybe a little longer in the torso than average. So again, your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience.

Also, I don't remember if I used the word "nimble" to describe the handling, but as I rode the bike in Burlington's more urban setting this morning, it was the word that came to mind over and over again as I wove through small streets, across the UVM campus,and on and off bike paths. Nimble. Nice.