Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

9.19.2011

Another Nice Windsor Nano Minivelo Review

I've written a bunch about my experiences with the Windsor Nano Minivelo. Here's another nice writeup: http://www.dionridesbikes.com/2011/09/down-rabbit-hole-first-ride-with.html .

I'd echo everything the author has to say there. Also, as he mentions, the handlebar is indeed a 25.4. I just found that out when I changed out the stem. (Seriously, Bikesdirect could not have specced an uglier stem). My new one (Origin8 Ultimat8 120) is a 26.0. A 40 cm eBay drop bar in the 26mm size is on its way for only a few dollars more than a shim would have cost. The stock bar goes in the parts pile for now, along with the ugly stem. 

I am continuing to love the thinner, higher-pressure tires. I made a bonehead move and bought replacement tubes in the 451 size instead of the 406 size of the Nano's wheels, but I have been able to fit these tubes with only minor encouragement and they have held up well. 

I'm ready for better gearing. I'm thinking about getting an 11-34 8-speed cassette and going with just the 53 ring up front. It's a question of what kind of hills I'll be able to get up in a 53X34 more than anything, but I'd love to drop the second chaining and derailer in favor of short stack bolts and a chain watcher.